Split Pea Soup recipe is easy to make with help of very simple ingredients. This Split Pea Soup recipe gets its zest butter,onion and leaves.Here is one of my favorite quick and easy Split Pea Soup recipe , best recipe of this kind and enjoy cooking.
Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 2 c split peas
- 7 c water (or broth)
- 1/4 c butter
- 1 lg onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 t dried basil crumbled
- 1 ham bone (optional)
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- and 2 teaspoon. tamari soy
- sauce (1 t honey (or brown sugar)
- Black pepper
- 1/4 c fresh parsley chopped
- Cover split peas with water or broth, bring to a boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat and let stand for one hour.
- In a large soup pot, saut onion and garlic in butter until light golden. Add carrots and celery and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in peas, after their hour is up, and the herbs. If using a ham bone, add it now. If using the vegetarian version, do not put in the yeast and tamari.
- For both versions, only add salt, honey and pepper when soup is finished cooking. Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the peas are cooked and mushy.
- Stir occasionally to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. When peas are done, remove the ham bone, or for vegetarian version, add the yeast and tamari, then for both add honey and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in fresh parsley.
- Serve plain or with garnishes of onion, grated cheese or sour cream.