These healthy greens get their rich flavor from smoked turkey, instead of fatback. Greens recipe is easy to make with help of very simple ingredients. This Smothered recipe gets its zest from fresh greens. Here is one of my favorite quick and easy Smothered Greens recipe, the top 10 on this site.
Smothered Greens recipe step by step preparation
- 3 cups water
- ¼ pound smoked turkey breast , skinless
- 1 tablespoon fresh hot pepper , chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cloves , ground
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 scallion , chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger , ground
- ¼ cup onion , chopped
- 2 pounds greens (mustard, turnip, collard, kale, or mixture)
- Place all ingredients except greens into large saucepan and bring to boil.
- Prepare greens by washing thoroughly and removing stems
- Tear or slice leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Add greens to turkey stock. Cook for 20–30 minutes until tender.